Friday, October 25, 2013

This "New" Math & Teaching the Parents

"We need math books."
"I didn't learn math this way."
"I don't get this new math."

How many times have you heard a parent say one of these statements?  In my heart, while statements such as these sound like criticisms, I like to consider them cries for help.  Most parents truly want their children to be as successful as they can.  So, if we are not teaching with textbooks, worksheets, and flashcards, why give them to parents as they work to help their children?

On that note, I would like to send a "shout out" to a 2nd grade teacher at my school, Mrs. Valarie Amerson.  It all started with a homework assignment.  One of her students refused to solve a problem using the standard algorithm at the request of his parent.  So, Mrs. Amerson decided use part of her parent-teacher conferences to engage parents in authentic, standards-based minilessons!  This is what she had to say...
"During my parent teacher conferences, I have been teaching parents how to do math. I have been teaching them how to use the empty number line and modeling using base ten. I also tell them that students have to be able to explain their thinking. We also talk about how the students are expected to use mental math to solve problems and I show what that looks like. Many of them are shocked at how much math has changed."
 

Wouldn't it be more powerful to engage parents in experiences like this that give them what they need to truly understand the math and help their children to be truly successful with Common Core Mathematics?  There are several sites and resources that would give parents exposure to meaningful math.  Some are included as links on the right side of this page.  Here are just a few more:
I believe that knowledge is power.  As we educators work to build solid mathematical foundations with our students, let's give our parents a taste of the "Math Kool-Aid!"  Trust me, the parents and your students will eventually thank you for it.

P.S. I have decided to start doing Number Talks with the parents who come to my lunch and learn session!  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Amerson,
    I have had the same reactions from my parents as well. My conferences have been taking a lot longer than the 15-20 minutes that I initially allotted. My parents have been amazed at this new thinking process. They are really shocked by the suggestions that are given to them to assist their children.

    ReplyDelete