Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Practice Standards or Content Standards?



So on my journey, I began to notice that teachers would jump right into the content standards and neglect the practice standards. They were so focused on getting the content covered within the time allotted on the pacing guide, they placed all (or most) of their eggs in the "content standard basket." Personally, I feel "some kind of way" about rigid pacing guides, but that's a topic for another day. So, I do understand my teachers' struggles. I have been focusing a lot of my professional learning on the importance of the 8 Standards for Mathematical Practice, and I have even rolled out a student engagement initiative here at my school. We have been implementing ways to help students to experience mathematics from a quality vs. quantity perspective, and teachers are gradually implementing patient problem solving practices into their instruction. The realization that true and meaningful math instruction is more than checking off a list of standards covered is alive and well here at SES. On that note, as I was researching (as I often do), I came across this graphic that another math coach uses to help her teachers to make sense of it all. It is a beautiful illustration, actually, so I thought I would share it. Shout our to Donna Boucher at http://mathcoachscorner.blogspot.com/ You are my hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment