Friday, October 18, 2013

2nd Grade Teacher Drinks the "Kool-Aid"...and LOVES It!

A 2nd grade teacher at my school began to slowly accept "The Math Movement." She took baby sips of the "Math Kool-Aid" at first. Now, she's gulping it in large quantities! Boy, do I feel like a proud Mama! Kudos to you, Melanie Henderson! Stay thirsty! Here is one of her "lightbulb moments" below!

Standard Algorithm Lightbulb Moment!
"Today, after my class finished math corner and we moved on to the number talk, I brought up how it's important for us to use different strategies to make math problems easier to solve. It was interesting because after I said that, one of my kids said, "Mrs. Henderson, I know why you don't teach us to solve problems with the standard algorithm. If you did, that's the only way we would solve problems instead of using all of these different strategies that we know!" So cool that a seven year old was able to recognize that!! :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment